Twitter
RSS

Subscribe to Get Updates on Email

Enter your email address:

Permissions Modal Verbs (Can - Could - May - Might)


1) For taking permissions we have the following ways:
a) Can I …? It is informal way of taking permission so shouldn’t be used to the seniors, elders or the people
we respect.
b) Could I …? It is used in both formal and informal way.
c) May I…? It is the most polite and formal way and preferably used in written English.
d) Might I …? It is used when the speaker feels hesitation to ask for the permission.

2) For giving permissions we use can (infml) and may (fml)
eg) Could I ask you a question? ~ yes, you can/may.

3) For not giving permissions we have can’t/mayn’t
eg) Could I ask you a question? ~ No, you can’t/mayn’t.

Reporting permission
Can
and Could are also used to talk about permission that has already been given or refused, and about things that are (or are not) allowed by rules and laws.
eg) She said I could come as often as I liked.
In talking about the past, we use could to say that somebody had permission to do sth at any time (general permission), but we don’t use could to talk about permission for one particular action in the past.
Compare:
When I was a child, I could watch TV whenever I wanted to.
Yesterday evening, Asif was allowed to watch TV for an hour.
(NOT… Asif could watch TV for an hour)
But Could not can be used to talk about one particular action that was not allowed.
Peter couldn’t watch TV yesterday because he was naughty.

Note: The difference between could and was/were allowed is similar to the difference between could and was/were able)

Comments (0)

Post a Comment