Twitter
RSS

Subscribe to Get Updates on Email

Enter your email address:

Expressions used in Business English

Apologizing
I’m sorry about…
I’m sorry that…
I’m very sorry about…
I’m very sorry for…
Please forgive me for…
I’d prefer to apologize for…
Please accept my apologies.
Please accept my sincere apologies. (very formal)
I'm sorry.
I made a mistake.
Please accept my apologies.
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to . . .
(I'm) sorry. I didn't realize that . . . .

Asking for Help
I’d be grateful in the event you may…
I’d be grateful in the event you may…
I’d appreciate it in the event you may…
Could you please…
I used to be wondering of you may assist me.(casual)
I’d prefer to understand…
Could you . . . . (for me) ?
Would you please . . . ?
Would you mind V+ing . . . .?
Could you possibly . . . ?
Could you do me a favor?
Could I ask you a favor?
Can I ask you to . . . ?
I need some help (if you have time).
(If you're not busy) I could use your help.

Asking for Information
I’m composing to enquire about…
I’m composing to discover out about…
What I’m looking for is…
I’d prefer to understand about/if…

Closing
I appear ahead to seeing you/ I very much hope to hear from you shortly.
I appear ahead to hearing from you/I await your prompt reply.
I appear ahead to meeting you/I look forward to seeing you.
I look forward to hearing from you.(at your earliest convenience)
I look forward to meeting you/I look forward to your swift reply.
I look forward to hearing from you without delay.



Complaining / expressing dissatisfaction

I’m composing to specific my dissatisfaction with…
I’m composing to specific my annoyance with…
I’m not pleased about…
…was very disappointing.
I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with ...
I am writing to complain about ...
Please note that the goods we ordered on (date) have not yet arrived.
We regret to inform you that our order no--- is now considerably overdue.
I would like to query the transport charges which seem unusually high.

Conveying regards
Please give my greatest regards for your family.
Please pass on my greatest wishes for your wife and kids.
Please give my regards for your parents.

Expressing satisfaction
I am/was delighted to listen to that…
I am/was very pleased to learn that…
I am/was thrilled to discover out that…
I am/was glad to listen to that…
…was very enjoyable.

Giving poor news
I regret to inform you that…(semi-formal)
I’m sorry to inform you that…(casual)
I regret to advise you that…(formal)
I’m afraid I have some poor information.(casual)
I'm sorry (I have) to tell you this, but . . .
I hate to tell you this, but . . .
I don't know how to tell you this, but . . .
I have some bad news.

Giving great news
I’m pleased to inform you that…(semi-formal)
I’m delighted to inform you that…(casual)
I’m pleased to advise you that…(formal)
I thought you may prefer to understand that…

Giving reasons
This really is simply because…
This really is simply because of… (formal)
This really is as a result of…(formal)
This really is owing to…(formal)

Making suggestions
Would it be a great concept to…
Perhaps it could be a great concept to…

Thanking
Thanks.
Thanks.
Thank you very significantly.
Thanks kindly.
I can’t thanks sufficient.
No words can specific my gratitude.
I’m very grateful for…

Complaining / expressing dissatisfaction
I'm writing to express my dissatisfaction with...
I'm writing to express my annoyance with...
I am not happy about...
...was very disappointing.
I’m writing to complain about…
The purpose of this letter is to express my disappointment with …

Conveying regards
Please give my best regards to your family.
Please pass on my best wishes to your wife and children.
Please give my regards to your parents.

Expressing satisfaction
I was delighted to hear that...
I was very happy to learn that...
I was thrilled to find out that...
I was glad to hear that...
...was very enjoyable.

Expressing concern / sympathy
I was sorry to hear about... (your accident/ illness)
I am writing to express my concern about...

Giving bad news
I regret to inform you that...(semi-formal)
I am sorry to tell you that...(informal)
I regret to advise you that...(formal)
I am afraid I have some bad news.(informal)

Giving good news
I am pleased to inform you that...(semi-formal)
I am delighted to tell you that...(informal)
I am happy to advise you that...(formal)
I thought you might like to know that...
We are pleased to announce that ...
I am delighted to inform you that ...
You will be pleased to learn that ...

Giving reasons
This is because...
This is because of...
This is due to... (formal)
This is as a result of...(formal)
This is owing to...(formal)

Making suggestions
Would it be a good idea to...
Perhaps it would be a good idea to...

Thanking
Thanks.
Thank you.
Thank you very much.
Thank you kindly.
I can't thank you enough.
No words can express my gratitude.
I am extremely grateful for...
I very much appreciate your ______ing

Asking for Help
I'd be grateful if you could...
I would be grateful if you could...
I would appreciate it if you could...
Could you please...
I was wondering of you could help me.(informal)
I would like to know...

Asking for Information
I am writing to enquire about...
I am writing to find out about...
What I am looking for is...
I would like to know about/if...

Request for information
I am writing to inquire about . . .
I am writing in reference to . . .
I read/heard . . . and would like to know . . .
Could you please send me . . . at the address below/above

Response to request

Thank you for your interest/inquiry
Enclosed is the information you requested.
You can learn more about this at . . .
If you have further questions,
If you require assistance, please contact:
If I can be of more help, please feel free to contact me at . . .


Sample Sentences: Requests

Could you please send me your most recent brochure?
Could you fax me the results of the market survey?
I would like to order ten copies of the book, The silent explosion.
I would be very grateful if you could send me this information.

Please return the enclosed envelope with your payment.
We would appreciate it if you would ...
I would be grateful if you could...
Could you please send me . . .
Could you possibly tell us/let us have...
In addition, I would like to receive ...
It would be helpful if you could send us ...
I am interested in (obtaining/receiving...)
I would appreciate your immediate attention to this matter.
Please let me know what action you propose to take.


Sample Sentences: Goodwill

Thank you for your hospitality.
I enjoyed having lunch with you last week while I was in New York.
Congratulations on your promotion to General Manager.
I want(ed) to congratulate you on your new position.
I was happy to hear that contract negotiations went well.


Sample Sentences: Introduction of Product/Service.

I am writing to tell you about . . .
(Our new product) is coming out next month.
This product/service is designed to (help you) . . .


Sample Sentences: Reference

I am writing in regard to . . .
I am writing in reference to . . .
I hope you have had a chance to look over the materials we sent.


Sample Sentences: Confirmation I am writing to confirm . . .
I would like to confirm what we discussed last Friday.
I would just like to confirm the main points we discussed . . .


Sample Sentences: Notification

I am writing to let you know that . . .
Please be aware/informed that . . .
I would like to inform you of a recent policy change. I am happy to inform
you that . . .
Your request for funding has been approved.


Sample Sentences: Offering Assistance

We would be happy to . . .
If we can be of assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.


Sample Sentences: Collection

According to our records . . .
Our records show that . . .
Your monthly installment is past due.
Please send payment as soon as possible.


Offering help
We would be happy to ...
Would you like us to ...
We are quite willing to ...
Our company would be pleased to ...

Phrases:
a creative problem-solver
always cheerful and dependable
always behaves professionally
broad range of skills
can attest to his integrity
careful attention to detail
comments are well thought out and clearly articulated
communicates her ideas clearly
communicates effectively in writing
completely loyal and trustworthy
demonstrated particular strengths in
follows tasks through to completion
gets along well with others
handles responsibility well
has a take-charge personality
has a flair for organization
her sensitivity and concern for others
is innovative and creative
is a tireless worker
is mature beyond her years
is intelligent and ambitious
is personable and easy to work with
keeps calm under pressure
meticulous attention to detail
one of our finest, most well-rounded undergraduates
outstanding leadership abilities
punctual and hard working
self-motivated individual
wide-range knowledge of
willing to go beyond what is required
willing to take on new responsibilities
works efficiently and effectively
works independently and effectively
works well with little supervision

Comments (0)

Post a Comment