Twitter
RSS

Subscribe to Get Updates on Email

Enter your email address:

Contractions - Positive Contractions, Negative Contractions, Informal Contractions

Positive Contractions


S.No

Short form

Long form

01

I'm

I am

02

I've

I have

03

I'll

I will/I shall

04

I'd

I would/I should/I had

05

you're

you are

06

you've

you have

07

you'll

you will

08

you'd

you had/you would

09

he's

he has/he is

10

he'll

he will

11

he'd

he had/he would

12

she's

she has/she is

13

she'll

she will

14

she'd

she had/she would

15

it's

it has/it is

16

it'll

it will

17

we're

we are

18

we've

we have

19

we'll

we will

20

we'd

we had/we would

21

they're

they are

22

they've

they have

23

they'll

they will

24

they'd

they had/they would


Negative Contractions

Notes

With the verb "to be", two negative forms are possible - we aren't or we're not etc.

In questions, am not is contracted to aren't, for example: I'm late, aren't I?


S.No

Short form

Long form

01

aren't

are not

02

can't

cannot, can not

03

couldn't

could not

04

daren't

dare not

05

didn't

did not

06

doesn't

does not

07

don't

do not

08

hasn't

has not

09

haven't

have not

10

hadn't

had not

11

isn't

is not

12

mayn't

may not

13

mightn't

might not

14

mustn't

must not

15

needn't

need not

16

oughtn't

ought not

17

shan't

shall not

18

shouldn't

should not

19

wasn't

was not

20

weren't

were not

21

won't

will not

22

wouldn't

would not


Informal Contractions


S.NO

Short form

Long form

Example

01

here's

here is

Here's your meal.

02

there'll

there will

There'll be nobody here tomorrow.

03

there's

there is

There's a taxi!

04

that's

that is

That's my car!

05

that'll

that will

That'll be $10, please.

06

how's

how is?

How's your wife?

07

what'll

what will?

What'll people think?

08

what's

what is?

What's the matter?

09

when's

when is?

When's the wedding?

10

where's

where is?

Where's the cinema?

11

who's

who is?

Who's your teacher?

12

who'd

who would?

Who'd like ice-cream?

13

who'll

who will?

Who'll be there?


Comments (0)

Post a Comment